Home Video Russia and Syria invite international probe into alleged gas attack

Russia and Syria invite international probe into alleged gas attack

122
0
SHARE

The US President Donald Trump has said he will “forcefully” respond to an alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria.

Washington’s top UN envoy said “the world must see justice done” after dozens of people were killed in Douma.

Both, Russia and Syria have invited an international investigation into the alleged chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Douma after US President Donald Trump threatened that there would be a “big price to pay”.

According to the reports, the chemical attack on Saturday killed at least 49 people and injured 500 others.

The Syrian Representative to the United Nations Bashar Jaafari said. “My country Syria stresses its unlimited cooperation with the OPCW to fulfill the commitments stated in the convention of the prohibition of the development, production, stockpiling and use of chemical weapons.”

“The Syrian Arabic Republic stresses ones again it does not possess any chemical weapons of any type, including chlorine.”
“In the summer of 2014, the OPCW confirmed that Syria‚Äôs chemical weapons arsenal had been destroyed.”

Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the UN, told the UN session “We have reached the moment when the world must see justice done,” said Haley. “History will record this as the moment when the Security Council either discharged its duty or demonstrated its utter and complete failure to protect the people of Syria.”

Syria and its main ally Russia blamed Israel for carrying out an attack on a Syrian air base near Homs on Monday.

At least 14 people were killed including some fighters of various nationalities, a reference to Iranian-backed Shiite militia members, mostly from Iraq, Lebanon and Iran fighting alongside the Syrian army against Islamic militants.